The 2022-2023 Ann Arbor Public Schools calendar has finally been released on Friday, July 8.
- First Day of School for 2022-2023 in AAPS
- Last Day of School for 2022-2023 in AAPS
- Major Breaks
- Individual Days Off
- Snow (& Other Last Minute) Days Off
- Early Release Days and Half Days
- High School Exams
- Testing Days for Middle & High School
- Bell Times
- Back to School Events – Awaiting 2022-2023 updates
- More Back to School Information
First Day of School for 2022-2023 in AAPS
Ann Arbor Public Schools will start before Labor Day – Monday, August 29. They will have a 4 day weekend for Labor Day – Friday, September 2 and Monday, September 5. This was announced on Friday, March 11 in Dr Swift’s email to parents.
Last Day of School for 2022-2023 in AAPS
School will end on Friday, June 9,
Events from our Sponsors
In May 2021, Washtenaw Intermediate School District approved the dates for Winter and Spring Break through 2026 including the 2022-2023 school year.
The 2022-2023 break schedule is:
- Winter Break – Friday, December 23-Sunday, January 8
- Break starts after school on Thursday, December 22
- School Resumes on Monday, January 9
- Check out Winter Break Camps
- Saturday, March 25-Sunday, April 2
- Break starts after school on Friday, March 24
- School Resumes on Monday, April 3
- Check out our Spring Break Camp Guide
(Note: when AAPS releases their calendar, they typically only list the school days off for example – March 27-31 – while we have included the weekends)
Thanksgiving is not included in the Major Breaks schedule at the WISD level. Ann Arbor Public Schools returns to the standard Wednesday-Friday format for Thanksgiving.
- Wednesday, November 23-Sunday, November 27 – Find Thanksgiving Camps here.
Individual Days Off
Individual days off can vary from year to year as dates move on the calendar and circumstances differ. For example, presidential primary was a day off in 2020, Good Friday was not needed in 2021 as it fell during spring break.
Announced Days Off
- Labor Day Friday – Friday, September 2
- Labor Day – Monday, September 5
- Election Day – Tuesday, November 8
- Martin Luther King Jr Day – Monday, January 16
- Presidents Day – Monday, February 20
- Good Friday – Friday, April 7
- May Election Day – Tuesday, May 2
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29
Make sure to check out our full list of school break camps if you need child care on days off from school. We have not yet updated this list for the 2022-2023 school year. Historically most camps are not announced until after summer camps end.
Snow (& Other Last Minute) Days Off
The AAPS calendar typically has 6 built in “snow” days on the calendar. While snow days is their typical use, they have been used for various purposes throughout the years. In the 2021-2022 school year, they were used due to staffing shortages on November 1 and the week of Thanksgiving. They were also used after social media threats in the wake of the Oxford School Shooting. Hopefully for 2022-2023 these will only be needed for snow days.
If the district goes over the 6 days, they either need to add days at the end of the year or ask the state for forgiveness.
Early Release Days and Half Days
The last day of school has always been an early release day in my daughter’s 11 years at AAPS. Her first few years, that was the only early release day. The district has been adding days in recent years and adjusting the schedule – initially releasing early before lunch with some schools releasing before 11a or releasing after lunch. Recently most days have been released after lunch.
Prior to the pandemic, there were 5 early release days in addition to the last day. In 2021-2022 there were 9 early release days plus the last day of school. For 2022-2023, we return to only 5 early release days across grade levels plus 2 for middle schools, 1 for high schools, and 1 for elementary.
2022-2023 Early Release Days:
- Tuesday, September 20 – All Students
- Thursday, October 20 – All Students
- Wednesday, November 30 – All Students
- Tuesday, January 31 – All Students
- Thursday, April 20 – All Students
- Thursday, May 4 – Early release for HS, Transition day for 8th grade
- Friday, May 5 – Early release for MS, Transition day for 5th grade.
- Friday, May 19 – Early Release for Elementary & K-8 Students
- Friday, June 9 – 1/2 Day
There are also some additional half-days by grade level for elementary and middle school students (K-8 will have the elementary days).
- Friday, January 20: Middle School
- Friday, March 3: Elementary Students & K-8 Students
- Friday, May 19: Elementary & K-8 Students
- Thursday, June 8: Middle School
Standard Early Release Schedule (based on 2021-2022 daily schedules)
- Elementary (K-5) – 1:18p
- K-8 Schools – 12:48p
- Middle Schools – 12:33p
- High School – 12:21p
Early Early Release Schedule (Last day – based on 2021-2022 daily schedules)
- Elementary (K-5) – 11:28a
- K-8 Schools – 10:47a
- Middle Schools – 10:43a
- High School – 9:40a (make-up exams held after)
1/2 Day Release Times
- Elementary: 12:20p (March 3 and May 19)
- K-8: 11:50a (March 3 & May 19)
- Middle School: 11:50a (January 20 and June 8)
High School Exams
I expect Skyline and Pathways to remain on a trimester schedule with Huron, Pioneer, and Community on a semester schedule. This leads to different exam days.
Trimester Exams (Skyline & Pathways)
These remain the Friday-Tuesday before Thanksgiving
- Trimester 1 – Friday, November 18, Monday-Tuesday November 21-22
- Trimester 2- Wednesday-Friday, March 8-10
- Trimester 3- Wednesday-Friday, June 7-9
Semester Exams (Huron, Pioneer & Community)
- Semester 1 – Tuesday-Friday January 17-20
- Semester 2 – Tuesday-Friday, June 6-9
Testing Days for Middle & High School
There are several days that standardized testing is offered for high school students. The students who are not testing on those days have a late start. These days are set by the state. The initial calendar release shows a substantial difference in fall testing. This year, only the 11th grade is taking the PSAT/NMSQT. There is no PSAT testing listed for 9th or 10th grades, or SAT for 12th grade.
- Wednesday, October 12 – 11th grade PSAT/NMSQT, 9th, 10th & 12th grades
- Wednesday, April 12 – 11th grade SAT, 9th or 10th PSAT, late start for 12th & 9th/10th not testing
- Thursday, April 13 – 11th grade WorkKeys, 9th or 10th PSAT, late start for 12th & 9th/10th not testing
AAPS Bell times are the same for 2022-2023 as they were in 2021-2022 – a rarity in my daughter’s years in AAPS. Bell times changed significantly for 2021-2022 compared to both the virtual year and pre-pandemic schedules. In our 11 years,
Back to School Events – Awaiting 2022-2023 updates
Each year there are several back to school events. My daughter participated in high school sports and practices started in mid-August. The week before school started there were also high school registration events. She got her school photos and ID, schedule, books, locker, etc. Many elementary schools have welcome back events especially for kindergarteners/Y5. While dates have not yet been announced for 2022-2023 Back to School events, the scheduling should be similar to 2021.
I will say I have enjoyed having virtual curriculum night especially at the high school level. It was easy to join in and not run all over the building. Additionally, since she had a sporting event during it, I was able to do both simultaneously