Winter & Spring Break Schedules through 2022
By Michigan law, all school districts in a county must share a common Winter Break and Spring Break. Ann Arbor Public Schools is part of the Washtenaw Intermediate School District (WISD). WISD has announced their Winter Break and Spring Break Schedules for 2017/18 through 2021/22.
Full School Calendars
Are you looking for the School Year Calendars? Check out our articles on:
Winter and Spring Break Schedules
Note, at first glance there appears to be a discrepancy between the dates sent out by AAPS and WISD. The dates are consistent, but just reported differently. WISD lists the breaks as the date that school ends and the date that school resumes. In their e-mail on Friday, February 3, AAPS listed the dates by the first (a Monday) and last school days off (a Friday).
To confuse matters, I’m using a third method of reporting breaks. I am reporting the first day off (typically a Saturday) and the last day off (typically a Sunday)
Winter Break Schedules
WISD continues to offer 2 weeks off for Winter Break.
- 2017-2018 – Saturday, December 23, 2017-Sunday, January 7, 2018
- 2018-2019 – Saturday, December 22, 2018-Sunday, January 6, 2019
- 2019-2020 – Saturday, December 21, 2019-Sunday, January 5, 2020
- 2020-2021 – Saturday, December 19, 2020-Sunday, January 3, 2021
- 2021-2022 – Saturday, December 18, 2021-Sunday, January 2, 2022
Spring Break Schedules
The big change in the schedule is for spring break. In recent years, spring break has typically fallen the first week of April. For the 2017-2018 school year through 2021-2022, the spring break week will move to the last week of March.
- 2017-2018 – Saturday, March 24, 2018-Sunday, April 1, 2018
- 2018-2019 – Saturday, March 23, 2019-Sunday, March 30, 2019
- 2019-2020 – Saturday, March 28, 2020-Sunday, April 5, 2020
- 2020-2021 – Saturday, March 27, 2021-Sunday, April 4, 2021
- 2021-2022 – Saturday, March 26, 2022-Sunday, April 3, 2022
Personally, I am hoping that this move will bring more affordable airfares. Most Michigan counties have had their Spring Break the first week of April leading to very high airfares. Hopefully, only Washtenaw County is moving their break and airfares will be more affordable.
Upcoming Sponsored Events
This change also brings our Spring Break in line with my nieces in Pennsylvania have had their break over the last few years.
There are a couple of years where Easter corresponds to one of the weekends of Spring Break. Since many places vary their spring breaks based on Easter, vacations can be more crowded and expensive when they align with Easter. By moving the break earlier a week, it is less likely to encompass Easter. The 2018 and 2021 breaks have Easter on the last day of break (based on the Easter date for Western churches).
Members of Washtenaw Intermediate School District
The Washtenaw Intermediate School District includes the following public school districts:
- Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Chelsea School District
- Dexter Community Schools
- Lincoln Consolidated Schools
- Manchester Community Schools
- Milan Area Schools
- Saline Area Schools
- Whitmore Lake Public Schools
- Ypsilanti Community Schools
Honey Creek Community School is chartered by Washtenaw Intermediate School District and will also follow the same calendar.
Latest posts by Anna Mae (see all)
- Day out with Thomas at Crossroads Village – July 18, 2018
- Ann Arbor’s Pittsfield Township Park – Tuesday Playground Profile – July 17, 2018
- Arbor Annie’s Art Fair Week Roundup – July 16-20 – July 16, 2018