By Michigan law, all school districts in a county must share a common Winter Break and Spring Break. Ann Arbor Public Schools is part of the Washtenaw Intermediate School District (WISD). WISD has announced their Winter Break and Spring Break Schedules for 2017/18 through 2021/22.
Spring Break 2020 is included in the COVID-19 School Closures. I know my daughter’s school is taking this week off from sending assignments.
Full School Calendars
Are you looking for the School Year Calendars? Check out our articles on:
- 2019-2020 School Calendar for Ann Arbor Public Schools
- 2020-2021 School Calendar for Ann Arbor Public Schools
Winter and Spring Break Schedules
Note, at first glance there appears to be a discrepancy between the dates sent out by AAPS and WISD. The dates are consistent, but just reported differently. WISD lists the breaks as the date that school ends and the date that school resumes. In their e-mail on Friday, February 3, AAPS listed the dates by the first (a Monday) and last school days off (a Friday).
To confuse matters, I’m using a third method of reporting breaks. I am reporting the first day off (typically a Saturday) and the last day off (typically a Sunday)
Winter Break Schedules
WISD continues to offer 2 weeks off for Winter Break.
- 2017-2018 – Saturday, December 23, 2017-Sunday, January 7, 2018
- 2018-2019 – Saturday, December 22, 2018-Sunday, January 6, 2019
- 2019-2020 – Saturday, December 21, 2019-Sunday, January 5, 2020
- 2020-2021 – Saturday, December 19, 2020-Sunday, January 3, 2021
- 2021-2022 – Saturday, December 18, 2021-Sunday, January 2, 2022
Spring Break Schedules
The big change in the schedule is for spring break. In recent years, spring break has typically fallen the first week of April. For the 2017-2018 school year through 2021-2022, the spring break week will move to the last week of March.
- 2017-2018 – Saturday, March 24, 2018-Sunday, April 1, 2018
- 2018-2019 – Saturday, March 23, 2019-Sunday, March 30, 2019
- 2019-2020 – Saturday, March 28, 2020-Sunday, April 5, 2020
- 2020-2021 – Saturday, March 27, 2021-Sunday, April 4, 2021
- 2021-2022 – Saturday, March 26, 2022-Sunday, April 3, 2022
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Changes
Ann Arbor Public Schools will have a half-day on Friday, March 13 and plans to reopen on Monday, April 6. Their email did not include what time half-day pickup is. In their Facebook post, they clarified that it is the standard time for an early release day: High School: 12:06p (Community 11:50a), Middle School 12:37p, K-8: 12:52p, & Elementary 1:29p. Lunch will be served.
With COVID-19 and the extended school break, some spring break camps may be canceled. Ann Arbor Rec & Ed was announced as canceled with the school closing announcement on March 12.
Members of Washtenaw Intermediate School District
The Washtenaw Intermediate School District includes the following public school districts:
- Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Chelsea School District
- Dexter Community Schools
- Lincoln Consolidated Schools
- Manchester Community Schools
- Milan Area Schools
- Saline Area Schools
- Whitmore Lake Public Schools
- Ypsilanti Community Schools
Honey Creek Community School is chartered by Washtenaw Intermediate School District and will also follow the same calendar.