Are you looking for the 2023-2024 Ann Arbor Public Schools calendar? The full calendar has not yet been released. However, we do know some details, and can make some good guesses on other days. My daughter has been through 12 years of AAPS, so I have so ability to predict parts of the calendar before it is announced.
Looking for this year’s calendar? We’ve got you covered. Check out the 2022-2023 AAPS Calendar.
Calendar Release Information
Last year the full calendar was released on July 8. However, in mid-March they announced the start date for school. Winter and Spring break schedules are released in 5 year blocks through the 2025-2026 school year.
First Day of School for 2023-2024 in AAPS
The first day of school for 2023-2024 has not yet been announced. Recently school has started the Monday before Labor Day. According to the Washtenaw Intermediate School District (WISD) calendar, a waiver for the first day of school to start before Labor Day was in place for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school year. There is no mention of a waiver for the 2023-2024 school year.
Still, if I was making plans for Summer 2023, I would plan to be available for the week before Labor Day, but make child care plans (if needed) until Labor Day.
Other Dates in August
If you have high school students, plan to be available for most of August particularly if your child is in band/orchestra or a fall sport.
- August 7 – First Day Fall Sports Practices can start per Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA)
- August 8-14 – Pioneer Band Camp
- August 15-21 – Skyline Band Camp
- I could not find a 2023 date for Huron Band Camp. In 2022 they attended the same week as Skyline.
High School orientations typically take place about a week and a half before school starts. At Orientation students get their student IDs, class schedule, books (if any), and can get a parking pass. If a student misses orientation, there will be another opportunity to complete orientation. I would definitely try to make these especially if your child is new to the school.
Some elementary schools hold welcome back events either for the whole school or incoming students, typically the week before school starts.
Events from our Sponsors
Last Day of School for 2023-2024 in AAPS
The last day of school will be heavily affected by the first day of school. We will add it when we know it. Based on my experience, I predict June 7 with a pre-Labor Day start and June 14 with a post-Labor Day start.
In May 2021, Washtenaw Intermediate School District (WISD) approved the dates for Winter and Spring Break through 2026 including the 2023-2024 school year.
The 2023-2024 break schedule is:
- Winter Break – Saturday, December 23-Sunday, January 7
- Break starts after school on Friday, December 22
- School Resumes on Monday, January 8
- Check out Winter Break Camps
- Saturday, March 23-Sunday, March 31
- Break starts after school on Friday, March 22
- School Resumes on Monday, April 1
- Check out our Spring Break Camp Guide
(Note: when AAPS releases their calendar, they typically only list the school days off for example – March 25-29 – while we have included the weekends)
Thanksgiving is not included in the Major Breaks schedule at the WISD level. Ann Arbor Public Schools is typically off Wednesday-Friday for Thanksgiving. For 2023-2024 that would be,
- Wednesday, November 27-Sunday, December 1 – our best guess
- Find Thanksgiving Camps here.
Individual Days Off
Individual days off can vary from year to year as dates move on the calendar and circumstances differ. However, after 12 years in AAPS, I feel I have a good feel for days off. AAPS typically has off for Good Friday (the Friday before Easter). In the 2023-2024 school year, this falls during Spring Break so it is not an extra day off.
AAPS is typically closed for all election days as many schools are used as polling places. Since 2024 is a presidential election year, there will be a presidential primary in the spring which means an extra day off. In the last presidential cycle, AAPS had class on Presidents Day 2020 and was closed for the primary (just before the pandemic closures). As of December 2022, the Presidential Primary Date in Michigan is not set. It is in the process of moving further up the schedule. Hopefully both the Republican and Democratic Primary will be the same day (does not seem certain yet) so schools will only have to close one day.
Predicted Days Off
- Labor Day Friday – Friday, September 1 (about 80% confidence if school starts before Labor Day)
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4 (100% confidence if school starts before Labor Day)
- Election Day – Tuesday, November 7 – (90% confidence)
- Martin Luther King Jr Day – Monday, January 15 – (90% confidence)
- Presidents Day – Monday, February 19 – (10% confidence)
- Presidential Primary – TBD – (90% confidence)
- May Election Day – Tuesday, May 7 – (90% confidence)
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 27 (90% confidence)
Make sure to check out our full list of school break camps if you need child care on days off from school. This list will be updated for the 2023-2024 school year in late summer 2024. Historically most camps were not announced until after summer camps end. In a post-pandemic world, we have noticed that most camps are announced gradually through the school year – one break at a time.
Snow (& Other Last Minute) Days Off
The AAPS calendar typically has 6 built in “snow” days on the calendar. While snow days is their typical use, they have been used for various purposes throughout the years. In the 2021-2022 school year, they were used due to staffing shortages on November 1 and the week of Thanksgiving. They were also used after social media threats in the wake of the Oxford School Shooting. Hopefully for 2023-2024 these will only be needed for snow days.
If the district goes over the 6 days, they either need to add days at the end of the year or ask the state for forgiveness.
Early Release Days and Half Days
The last day of school has always been an early release day in my daughter’s 11 years at AAPS. Her first few years, that was the only early release day. The district has been adding days in recent years. Most early release days include lunch. The last day of school and a couple other days don’t.
Prior to the pandemic, there were 5 early release days in addition to the last day. In 2021-2022 there were 9 early release days plus the last day of school. For 2022-2023, we return to only 5 early release days across grade levels plus 2 for middle schools, 1 for high schools, and 1 for elementary. 2022-2023 also included a shift to spread early release days throughout the week instead of always on a Wednesday. I expect the 2023-2024 schedule to be similar.
2022-2023 Early Release Days:
- Tuesday, September 20 – All Students
- Thursday, October 20 – All Students
- Wednesday, November 30 – All Students
- Tuesday, January 31 – All Students
- Thursday, April 20 – All Students
- Thursday, May 4 – Early release for HS, Transition day for 8th grade
- Friday, May 5 – Early release for MS, Transition day for 5th grade.
- Friday, May 19 – Early Release for Elementary & K-8 Students
- Friday, June 9 – 1/2 Day
There are also some additional half-days by grade level for elementary and middle school students (K-8 will have the elementary days).
- Friday, January 20: Middle School
- Friday, March 3: Elementary Students & K-8 Students
- Friday, May 19: Elementary & K-8 Students
- Thursday, June 8: Middle School
Standard Early Release Schedule (based on 2022-2023 daily schedules)
- Elementary (K-5) – 1:18p
- K-8 Schools – 12:48p
- Middle Schools – 12:33p
- High School – 12:21p
Early Early Release Schedule (Last day – based on 2022-2023 daily schedules)
- Elementary (K-5) – 11:28a
- K-8 Schools – 10:47a
- Middle Schools – 10:43a
- High School – 9:40a (make-up exams held after)
1/2 Day Release Times (select 2022-2023 days)
- Elementary: 12:20p (March 3 and May 19)
- K-8: 11:50a (March 3 & May 19)
- Middle School: 11:50a (January 20 and June 8)
High School Exams
I expect Skyline and Pathways to remain on a trimester schedule with Huron, Pioneer, and Community on a semester schedule. This leads to different exam days.
Trimester Exams (Skyline & Pathways)
I expect trimester 1 to end before Thanksgiving as it has in the past. It is nice for the kids to have Thanksgiving break knowing exams are over.
- Trimester 1 – Friday, November 17, Monday-Tuesday November 20-21
- Trimester 2- Wednesday-Friday, in mid-March
- Trimester 3- Wednesday-Friday, last week of school.
Semester Exams (Huron, Pioneer & Community)
I expect Semester 1 exams to stay the Tuesday-Friday of MLK day.
- Semester 1 – Tuesday-Friday January 16-19
- Semester 2 – Tuesday-Friday, last week of school
Testing Days for Middle & High School
There are several days that standardized testing is offered for high school students. The students who are not testing on those days have a late start. These days are set by the state. The 2022-2023 calendar had a substantial difference in fall testing. Only the 11th grade took the PSAT/NMSQT. There was no PSAT testing for 9th or 10th grades, or SAT for 12th grade. We will see what the 2023-2024 schedule looks like. Early indications are that some schools will be requiring test scores again, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see more testing offered.
- Wednesday, October 12 – 11th grade PSAT/NMSQT, 9th, 10th & 12th grades
- Wednesday, April 12 – 11th grade SAT, 9th or 10th PSAT, late start for 12th & 9th/10th not testing
- Thursday, April 13 – 11th grade WorkKeys, 9th or 10th PSAT, late start for 12th & 9th/10th not testing
AAPS Bell times were the same for 2022-2023 as they were in 2021-2022 – a rarity in my daughter’s years in AAPS. Bell times changed significantly for 2021-2022 compared to both the virtual year and pre-pandemic schedules. In most years, it wasn’t unusual to see a shift by a couple of minutes. But, we will have to see for 2023-2024.
Back to School Information
Are you looking for more recent calendars? Check out our updated AAPS School Calendars