The 2020-2021 Ypsilanti Community Schools calendar is available now. As previously announced, school is starting early this year – on August 31. While the calendar is published, things may change based on social distancing needs.
The 2020-2021 school year will be impacted by the continued social distancing and spread of COVID-19. Be sure to check our article on Michigan’s Return to Learn Plan. We will be sure to share any announcements of 2020-2021 plans for YCS.
Ypsilanti Community Schools Start Date
School starts Monday, August 31. This is a first for Ypsilanti! School typically starts the Tuesday after Labor Day which would have been Tuesday, September 8. Washtenaw Intermediate School District has received a waiver for all the constituent school districts to start before Labor Day. The Preschools will start on Tuesday, September 8.
Normally, I would want more notice on an earlier than normal start. But with social distancing and uncertainty this summer feels very different than other years.
YCS End Dates
The school year is scheduled to end with a half-day on June 11. The school year can be extended if there are too many snow days or other days where learning is lost.
In February 2017, Washtenaw Intermediate School District announced the dates for Winter and Spring Break through 2022. Ypsilanti Community School has extended their spring break. It will start with a half-day and run through Monday and return on Tuesday, April 6.
The 2020-2021 break schedule is:
- Winter Break – Saturday, December 19-Sunday, January 3
- Break starts after school on Friday, December 18
- School Resumes on Monday, January 4
- Saturday, March 27-Monday, April 4
- Break starts with a half-day of school on Friday, March 26
- School Resumes on Tuesday, April 6
Thanksgiving is not included in the county Major Breaks schedule. However, most districts (including Ypsilanti) are off Wednesday-Sunday.
- Wednesday, November 25-Sunday, November 29
Individual Days Off
Ypsilanti Community Schools Includes several days off. With school returning before Labor Day, there are extra days off on the 2020-2021 calendar.
Below are my predictions with confidence levels:
- Pre-Labor Day – Friday, September 4
- Labor Day – Monday, September 7
- Election Day – Tuesday, November 3
- Pre-Martin Luther King, Jr Day – Friday, January 15 – Potential Makeup Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day – Monday, January 18
- Mid-Winter Break – Monday, February 22 (Note this is not Presidents Day)
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 31
Ypsilanti Community Schools has a number of half-days built into their calendar.
- Friday, October 30
- Wednesday, November 4
- Thursday, November 5
- Wednesday, January 13
- Thursday, January 14
- Friday, February, 19
- Friday, March 26 (lead up to Spring Break)
- Wednesday, April 21
- Thursday, April 22
- Friday, April 23
- Friday, May 28
- Wednesday, June 9
- Thursday, June 10
- Friday, June 11
The 2020-2021 school hours are:
- Erickson, Estabrook, & Holmes
- Regular Day: 7:30a-2:30p
- Half Day: 7:30a-10:45a
- Beatty, Ford, & Perry
- Regular Day: 8:15a-3:30p
- Half Day: 8:15a-11:45a
- YCMS & YIES
- Regular Day: 9:15a-4:15p
- Half Day: 9:15a-12:25p
- YCHS (AC-Tech/STEMM)
- Regular Day: 8:20a-8:20p
- Half Day: 8:20a-11:45a
- Regular Day 8:00a-2:55p
- Half Day: 8:00a-11:45a
Other School Calendars:
- Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Lincoln Consolidated Schools
- Dexter Community Schools
- Whitmore Lake
- Chelsea Schools
- Milan Schools