Father’s Day does not seem to be celebrated quite the same as Mother’s Day. There are definitely far less events on the calendar – especially brunches. The traditional Father’s Day celebration seems to be a cookout at home more than going out for brunch.
First, I want to send an early Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there. The weather forecast seems to be in flux. When I looked on Thursday, the forecast was for rain on Saturday and clear but warmer on Sunday. Update: Now the Sunday weather forecast is for rainy and cool with the high barely reaching 65.
Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival
In 2016, my daughter and I attended the Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival. We had a great time. Honestly, I was expecting to spend the day working on my iPad while my daughter listened to talks and learned to draw. It turns out that I was drawn into the activities as much as she was. The only work that I got done was sharing pictures on Instagram.
Other Adventures with Dad
FootGolf with Dad! After 2p on Sunday, Huron Hills Golf Course is offering Free FootGolf for Dad. The weather forecast shows this to be a good break in the rain.
The Toledo Zoo is offering free admission to Dads on Sunday when they arrive with their child(ren). Maybe make it a bigger treat by adding on a visit to their Aerial Adventure Course. I know my daughter and I had fun two years ago.
We always have fun at Greenfield Village. This weekend is Motor Muster – sure to be a hit for the dad who loves cars. Their historic baseball games have started for the year and are fun for those who like sports. Or, head inside to The Henry Ford where the Trekkie dad can enjoy their Star Trek exhibit.
New this weekend is Men in Black International. Other films Dad may like that you can go to with tweens and teens are Dark Phoenix, Avengers Endgame, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and Aladdin. Dad may be less excited to see Secret Life of Pets 2.
You can also explore another culture with a showing of Ponyo at Michigan Theater to kick off Japan Week.
Top of the Park
Sunday is always a fun night at Top of the Park with Kids Rock sponsored by Ann Arbor District Library and a family-friendly movie. Sunday’s movie is Frozen. Hopefully the rain clears out by then. I do recommend bringing chairs instead of blankets. You’ll be more comfortable and you’ll stay dryer.Just be carful not to setup in front of people on blankets.
Swimming with Dad
Update – with the cool temperatures, it’s better to postpone this for another weekend or next year. Rolling Hills Water Park is closed today. I haven’t seen a closed notice yet for Ann Arbor Parks, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Buhr and Veterans Park Pools were closed.
In 2015, my family celebrated Father’s Day at Rolling Hills Water Park. It was not as crowded as other Sundays. Just be sure to check the forecast for scattered thunderstorms currently predicted for Sunday afternoon. Other options are any of the other pools in the area – Buhr, Fuller, Veterans, or Rutherford Pool.
Kids Eat Free
If you are planning to each out, consider these places where Kids Eat Free on Sundays.
- Pretzel Bell – 226 S. Main St, Ann Arbor – Kids under 12 eat free on Sunday-Wednesday (Max of 1 free kid per full-price adult entree, must order from Junior Varsity menu, beverage and dessert not included) (Verified 03/2019)
- Maiz Cantina – 36 E. Cross St, Ypsilanti –Kids Eat Free all day on Sunday noon-10p. – Check out our review (Max of 2 kids per adult, must order from kids menu – ages 10 & under.) (Verified 3/2019)
- Evans Street Station – 110 S. Evan St, Tecumseh, MI 49286 – One free Little Chef’s entree (age 10 & Under) per adult entree. Mention offer when ordering. (Verified 4/2019)
- Steak & Shake – 4120 Ellsworth Rd, Ypsilanti – All Weekend – One Dine In Kids Plate per $9/spent. (Verified 04/2019)
- IHOP – 4220 Ellsworth Ave. Kids Eat Free Daily 4-10p (limit one kids meal per adult meal) (Verified 04/2019)
- Dickey’s BBQ – 3500 Washtenaw Ave, Suite E1 – One Free Kid’s Meal for ages 12 & under per $10 purchase per adult. Dine-in Only. (Verified 04/2019)
- Buffalo Wild Wings – 205 S. State St Ann Arbor – $2.49 Kids Meals Dine In Sunday-Wednesday (Verified 04/2019)
All Father’s Day Events
|Belleville Strawberry Festival
at Downtown Belleville, Belleville Michigan
|Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival (A2CAF) 2019
at Downtown Branch of AADL, Ann Arbor Michigan
at Leslie Science & Nature Center, Ann Arbor MI
All ages – FREE! Enjoy a campfire with LSNC one Sunday night a month. THey'll provide the campfire and marshmallows. Bring your family, camp chairs, and the other fixings for s'mores. The program is free and no registration is needed. Fireside Fun Schedule: