Father’s Day Activity Ideas
Father’s Day does not seem to be celebrated quite the same as Mother’s Day. There are definitely far less events on the calendar – especially brunches. The traditional Father’s Day celebration seems to be a cookout at home more than going out for brunch.
First, I want to send an early Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there. The weather forecast seems to be in flux. When I looked on Thursday, the forecast was for rain on Saturday and clear but hot on Sunday. Now the Sunday weather forecast is for hot on Sunday with a chance of storms.
Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival
In 2016, my daughter and I attended the Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival. We had a great time. Honestly, I was expecting to spend the day working on my iPad while my daughter listened to talks and learned to draw. It turns out that I was drawn into the activities as much as she was. The only work that I got done was sharing pictures on Instagram.
Ad:View this post on Instagram
Upcoming Sponsored Events
Swimming with Dad
In 2015, my family celebrated Father’s Day at Rolling Hills Water Park. It was not as crowded as other Sundays. Just be sure to check the forecast for thunderstorms during your visit. Other options are any of the other pools in the area – Buhr, Fuller (closed as of Friday), Veterans, or Rutherford Pool.
Is a movie your choice of a way to beat the heat?
Incredibles 2 opens this weekend. It is a great family movie and shows Mr Incredible in an active dad role. We thought it was as good as the original movie – and worth the 14 year wait.
My husband loves both Star Wars and Comic Book Movies. This makes Solo and Avengers Infinity War good choices. (Deadpool 2 is an option to take your dad to, but leave the kids at home).
You can also explore another culture with a showing of A Letter to Momo at Michigan Theater to kick off Japan Week.
Top of the Park
Other Adventures with Dad
Golf with Dad! After 3p on Saturday and Sunday, the Ann Arbor Parks courses offer free golf for kids with their dad.
The Toledo Zoo is offering free admission to Dads on Sunday when they arrive with their child(ren). Maybe make it a bigger treat by adding on a visit to their Aerial Adventure Course. I know my daughter and I had fun last year.
We always have fun at Greenfield Village. Their historic baseball games have started for the year.
Kids Eat Free
If you are planning to each out, consider these places where Kids Eat Free on Sundays.
- Pretzel Bell – 226 S. Main St, Ann Arbor – Kids under 12 eat free on Sunday (Max of 1 free kid per full-price adult entree, must order from Junior Varsity menu, beverage and dessert not included) (Verified 02/2018) – Note, a reader informed us that as of 4/2018 this is limited to 1 free kids meal per adult entree.
- Maiz Cantina – 36 E. Cross St, Ypsilanti – Kids Eat Free all day on Sunday noon-10p. – Check out our review (Max of 2 kids per adult, must order from kids menu – ages 10 & under.) (Verified 2/2018)
- Steak & Shake – 4120 Ellsworth Rd, Ypsilanti – All Weekend – One Dine In Kids Plate per $9/spent. (Verified 10/2017)
- IHOP – 4220 Ellsworth Ave. Kids Eat Free Daily 4-10p (limit one kids meal per adult meal) (Verified 10/2017)
- Dickey’s BBQ – 3500 Washtenaw Ave, Suite E1 – One Free Kid’s Meal for ages 12 & under per $10 purchase per adult. Dine-in Only. (Verified 10/2017)
All Father’s Day Events
|Belleville Strawberry Festival
at Downtown Belleville, Belleville Michigan
|Free Lunch for Dad
at Miss Kim, Ann Arbor Michigan
|Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival (A2CAF) 2018
at Downtown Branch of AADL, Ann Arbor Michigan
|Japan Week: A Letter to Momo
at Michigan Theater, Ann Arbor MI
|Top of the Park Music
at Top of the Park, Ann Arbor Michigan