Ann Arbor Cherry Picking
Summer in Ann Arbor is a great time for fresh fruit. As strawberry season is coming to a close, it’s cherry season. Check out our Ann Arbor Cherry Picking suggestions.
Ann Arbor Cherry Picking Options
There are no cherry picking options in Ann Arbor itself. However, there are several nearby options.
Wasem Fruit Farm
Wasem Fruit Farm in Milan offers u-pick tart cherries. They open for the 2018 season on July 1. They are also open on July 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8th. Picking hours are 9a-6p. There is a 10 pound minimum. Cherries cost $2.40/pound.
Update 7/8/18 – Today was the last day of cherry picking at Wasem
We have not picked cherries at Wasem. However, we visit regularly for apples and pumpkins in the fall. The first 4 of our 6 tips for Apple Picking at Wasem Fruit Farm can also apply to cherry picking.
Wasem Fruit Farm’s address is 6580 Judd Rd, Milan. The most up to date information on the summer season can be found on their Facebook page.
Spicer Orchards in Fenton offers u-pick tart and sweet cherries. Their 2018 cherry season started on June 25.
Update 7/8/18 – Sweet cherries are only available in the market. Tart cherry picking continues.
We went cherry picking at Spicer a couple of times.
I love that they have a pitting machine for the tart-cherries. It definitely made it easier to make a pie. There was a small fee to have the cherries pitted. It was well worth it.
Other Cherry Picking Options
I have personally visited both Spicer and Wasem over the years. I have found a couple of other nearby options as well.
South Lyon’s Erwin Orchards offers you-pick sweet cherries. Sweet Cherry season at Erwin Orchards opened on June 29. They are open daily 9a-5p while cherries last. Erwin Orchards uses Integrated Pest Management techniques to minimize their use of chemicals.
Their address is 61475 Silver Lake Road, South Lyon. Note: Erwin Orchards accepts cash or checks. There is an ATM on site.
Lenawee County’s Kapnick Orchards offers pick your own Tart Cherries. Their 2018 season begins on July 3. Cherries are $2/lb for quantities less than 25 lbs.
Kapnick Orchard’s address is 4245 Rogers Hwy., Britton.
Cherry Picking Tips
The cherry season is short. Be sure to check with the farm for current conditions before making the trip.
What to Bring:
- Dress for the weather. The week we picked was chilly, so we wore jeans. This weekend is scheduled to be hot, so dress to stay cool.
- Bug spray
- Water – make sure to stay hydrated
- Bring a container or use one of theirs. Spicer charges $1 for a pail to use while picking. Wasem has no information on picking containers. I know we usually buy bags for apple picking.
- Cash. While you can usually pay with a credit card for the final purchase, it is helpful to have small bills for paying for the containers to pick with at the start.
Latest posts by Anna Mae (see all)
- North American International Auto Show Rolls into Town – Enter to Win Tickets – January 12, 2019
- Arbor Annie’s Weekend Roundup – January 11-13 – January 11, 2019
- Ann Arbor Restaurant Week Winter 2019 – January 9, 2019