2018-2019 Ann Arbor Public Schools Calendar
The 2018-2019 Ann Arbor Public Schools calendar has been released! As with last year, it was posted to their website without an announcement. However, it is more than 4 months earlier than it was released last year (March vs July).
Beyond 2018-2019, Winter and Spring Breaks have been announced through the 2021-2022 school year.
Ann Arbor Public Schools Calendar Highlights
The 2018-2019 Ann Arbor Public Schools Calendar is almost identical to the 2017-2018 calendar. I saw two changes from the 2017-2018 calendar
- Good Friday (April 19) is a day off (for 2017-2018, Good Friday was during Spring Break)
- May Election Day (May 7) is only a day off if there is an election that day
Start and End Dates
As anticipated, school will start on the Tuesday after Labor Day – Tuesday, September 4. School ends on Friday, June 14. The final day of school is subject to change if there are more school closures (typically snow days) than budgeted.
In February 2017, Washtenaw Intermediate School District announced the dates for Winter and Spring Break through 2022. After mid-winter break being reduced to just Presidents Day in 2016-2017, it remains a 4 day weekend with Friday and Monday off like in the 2017-2018 school year. I am glad that Easter is not part of spring break like it was in 2017-2018. It makes traveling more crowded and expensive.
The 2018-2019 break schedule is:
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday, November 21-Sunday, November 25
- Break starts after school on Tuesday, November 20
- School resumes on Monday, November 26
- Saturday, December 22-Sunday, January 6
- Break starts after school on Friday, December 21
- School Resumes on Monday, January 7
- Mid-Winter Break – Friday, February 15-Monday, February 18
- Break starts after school on Thursday, February 14
- School Resumes on Tuesday, February 19
- Saturday, March 23-Sunday, March 31
- Break starts after school on Friday, March 22
- School Resumes on Monday, April 1
Upcoming Sponsored Events
Individual Days Off
Good Friday (the Friday before Easter) returns as a day off this year. Remember to plan for the day off. I know in years past, people would be caught off guard by having it as a day off.
- Election Day – Tuesday, November 6
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day – Monday, January 21
- Good Friday – Friday, April 19
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 27
For 2018-2019, the May Election Day is a tentative day off. It will only be a day off if there are elections being held. If there are no elections, school will be in session.
- Election Day – Tuesday, May 7
Early Release Days (Half Days)
After introducing “early release days” at the elementary level for 2016-2017 and adding more for 2017-2018, there are even more on the 2017-2018 calendar. However, this years half days are longer and now include lunch. The times for early release days can be found below with the bell schedules.
All Early Release Days are on Wednesdays. These early release days are for all grade levels:
- September 26
- October 24
- January 30
- February 27
- May 22
Plus, just for middle and high schoolers is
- Wednesday, May 1 – Transition Day
Partial days for high school exams are:
- Friday, Monday, & Tuesday November 16, 19-20 – Skyline only
- Tuesday-Friday January 22-25 – All except Skyline
- Wednesday-Friday March 6-8 – Skyline only
- Tuesday-Friday June 11-14 – All High Schools except Skyline
- Wednesday-Friday June 12-14 – Skyline only
The full calendar is on the Ann Arbor Public Schools website.
Late Start Days for High School
There are several late start days for high school for PSAT/SAT testing. (Luckily for the test takers they don’t have to take them on Saturday like I did in high school).
- Wednesday, October 10 – for 9th, 10th, and 12th grades – 11th graders are taking PSAT/NMSQT
- Tuesday/Wednesday, April 9-10 – Late start for 9th, 10th, and 12th grades not taking PSAT/SAT/WorkKeys Testing