Find where to shop for Halloween Costumes in Ann Arbor with our list of Ann Arbor Halloween Stores, other retailers, costume swaps, craft shops & more.
Ann Arbor Halloween Stores
Every year Halloween stores pop up around town, mostly in empty storefronts. Check out the 2020 Ann Arbor Halloween Store locations:
- Spirit Halloween
- Briarwood Mall in the former MC Sports location – 462 Briarwood Circle – Open Now (9/7/2021)
- Former Tuesday Morning on Carpenter Rd – 3140 Carpenter Rd – Scheduled to open 9/18/2021
- Halloween City
- Arborland – 3755 Washtenaw Ave (Arborland near Potbelly – the former Arhaus store) – Open now (9/7/2021)
- Party City – by Chuck E Cheese – 2677 Oak Valley Dr
Other Retail Stores
Most of the Big Box Stores carry Halloween costumes. Check out Target, Meijer, WalMart, Costco, and Sam’s Club. You can also have luck with dress up clothes at local toy stores.
Other years we have bought my daughter’s costume or parts of it in the regular clothing department. Sometimes, you just need the right clothes to look the part.
Buy Halloween Costumes Online
Some years I have bought my daughter’s costume online after striking out at the local stores. In 2018 it was surprisingly difficult to find a Harry Potter Ravenclaw robe that was not $80 and could fit a pre-teen. We ended up with a robe from Walmart and a shirt from Target. Both were only available online. She reused them in 2019 and 2020. I guess it is time to talk about 2021.
Many of my daughter’s costumes came from The Disney Store when she was younger. Unfortunately they have scaled back their brick and mortar presence. Currently there is only a store at Great Lakes Crossing but they are scheduled to close by September 15, 2021. But, it is easy to order online.
Amazon is always a good choice for costumes. I have bought some of my daughter’s costumes from Amazon.
If you want a homemade costume without doing it yourself, check out Etsy.
Reuse Halloween Costumes
Has your child ever been the same thing two years in a row? My daughter decided to be Tinkerbell two years in a row. Her costume still fit so we did not need to buy another one. Kids can also use their sibling’s costume. Some of her costumes have also been handed down to her cousins.
In the past, Ann Arbor District Library has offered a Costume Swap. However, with the libraries still limiting their indoor programming for 2021 I doubt it will happen this year.
Children’s Resale Shops stock Halloween costumes:
- Once Upon a Child – 4559 Washtenaw Ave
Local thrift shops are a great option for Halloween costumes. Not only will you find Halloween costumes, you will find items that can be used to assemble a Halloween costume. Some local options are:
- Ann Arbor PTO Thrift Shop – 2280 S. Industrial Highway
- Ann Arbor Thrift Shop – 3500 Washtenaw Ave
- Goodwill – 3782 Carpenter Rd, Ypsilanti and 557 E. Michigan Ave, Saline
- Kiwanis – 100 N. Staebler Rd
- Salvation Army – 1621 State St and 423 E. Michigan Ave, Saline
- St Vincent De Paul Thrift Store – 1003 Broadway St
Make a Halloween Costume – Ann Arbor Craft Shops
Even though I am not a crafter, I have made parts of my daughter’s costume before. Beyond your own craft closet, good sources for crafting supplies are:
- The ScrapBox – 4567 Washtenaw Ave
- JoAnn Fabrics – 2897 Oak Valley Dr, and 3737 Carpenter Rd
- Michaels – 3655 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor Halloween Events
Be sure to check out our Ann Arbor Halloween Happenings for all the fun places that you can wear your costumes.