Where to Shop for Halloween Costumes in Ann Arbor
Find where to shop for Halloween Costumes in Ann Arbor with our list of Ann Arbor Halloween Stores, other retailers, costume swaps, craft shops & more.
Ann Arbor Halloween Stores
Every year Halloween stores pop up around town, mostly in empty storefronts. Check out the 2019 Ann Arbor Halloween Store locations:
- Spirit Halloween
- Briarwood Mall in the former Sears location – 900 Briarwood Circle
- Former Babies R Us on Carpenter Rd – 3725 Carpenter Rd
- Arborland next to OfficeMax (in former Arhaus Furniture) – 3755 Washtenaw
- Halloween City
- Oak Valley Center (with Outback Steakhouse) – 3059 Oak Valley Dr
- Also, check Party City near by – across Waters Rd by Chuck E Cheese – 2677 Oak Valley Dr
Other Retail Stores
Most of the Big Box Stores carry Halloween costumes. Check out Target, Meijer, WalMart, Costco, and Sam’s Club. You can also have luck with dress up clothes at local toy stores.
Other years we have bought my daughter’s costume or parts of it in the regular clothing department. Sometimes, you just need the right clothes to look the part.
Buy Halloween Costumes Online
Some years I have bought my daughter’s costume online after striking out at the local stores. Last year it was surprisingly difficult to find a Harry Potter Ravenclaw robe that was not $80 and could fit a pre-teen. We ended up with a robe from Walmart and a shirt from Target. Both were only available online.
Many of my daughter’s costumes came from The Disney Store when she was younger. Unfortunately the closer stores have closed. There are now stores in Somerset Collection in Troy and Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills. But, it is easy to order online.
Amazon is always a good choice for costumes. I have bought some of my daughter’s costumes from Amazon.
If you want a homemade costume without doing it yourself, check out Etsy.
Reuse Halloween Costumes
Has your child ever been the same thing two years in a row? My daughter decided to be Tinkerbell two years in a row. Her costume still fit so we did not need to buy another one. Kids can also use their sibling’s costume.
Ann Arbor District Library offers a Costume Swap. Drop-off your old costumes to any AADL location starting on October 1. Pick out a new costume at the Costume Swap on October 27.
Many Fall Mom2Mom Sales have Halloween costumes available.
Children’s Resale Shops stock Halloween costumes:
Local thrift shops are a great option for Halloween costumes. Not only will you find Halloween costumes, you will find items that can be used to assemble a Halloween costume. Some local options are:
- Ann Arbor PTO Thrift Shop – 2280 S. Industrial Highway
- Ann Arbor Thrift Shop – 3500 Washtenaw Ave
- Goodwill – 3782 Carpenter Rd, Ypsilanti and 557 E. Michigan Ave, Saline
- Kiwanis – 100 N. Staebler Rd
- Salvation Army – 1621 State St and 423 E. Michigan Ave, Saline
- St Vincent De Paul Thrift Store – 1003 Broadway St
Make a Halloween Costume – Ann Arbor Craft Shops
Even though I am not a crafter, I have made parts of my daughter’s costume before. Beyond your own craft closet, good sources for crafting supplies are:
- The ScrapBox – 581 State Circle
- JoAnn Fabrics – 2897 Oak Valley Dr, and 3737 Carpenter Rd
- Michaels – 3655 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor Halloween Events
Be sure to check out our Ann Arbor Halloween Happenings for all the fun places that you can wear your costumes.