With most students in Washtenaw County learning virtually this fall, school districts are continuing distribution of school meals during virtual learning. There are a number of resources for continuing these services in Ann Arbor and surrounding communities.
We have done our best to keep this information up to date. Please verify information at the links before visiting any of the pickup sites.
- Map of Pickup Locations
- Who is Eligible?
- Ann Arbor Public Schools Meals During Virtual Learning
- Ypsilanti Community Schools Food Distribution
- Lincoln Consolidated Schools Food Distribution
- Other Districts
- Saline Area Schools
- Dexter Community Schools
- Whitmore Lake Public Schools
- Milan Area Schools
- Chelsea School District
- Manchester School District
- Other Options
Map of Pickup Locations
Who is Eligible?
The food resources below through the public school systems are for children up to 18 years old or any child with special needs through age 26. Meals will contain a balanced breakfast and lunch and will be distributed to children and parents/guardians. Due to social distancing, the meals will be packed to go instead of being shared in a community setting.
The USDA exemption allowing emergency food distribution during the pandemic was due to expire on August 31. On August 31, it was extended through December 31. At the October 14 Board meeting, AAPS announced that they have received an extension on the program through June 21, 2020.
Note, some districts require you to pre-register for a pickup to ensure enough meals are prepared.
Ann Arbor Public Schools Meals During Virtual Learning
Ann Arbor Public Schools and Chartwell Food Services will be providing to-go meals for pickup. If you have food allergy needs or cannot make it to a pick-up location, please call the AAPS Food Hot Line: 734-994-2265. They have been serving breakfast and lunch for 7 days a week. They are applying for permission to offer dinner pickup as well.
AAPS is making some changes to the food distribution schedule for Fall 2020. Pickups are moving to Mondays and Thursdays and they have expanded the late afternoon pickup options.
Pickups are on Mondays and Thursdays. Food distribution pickup times are now more varied by location. Some pickups are before the AAPS lunch time, others are during the lunch, and then there are additional late afternoon pickups. There is no need to signup in advance for pickup.
Ann Arbor school meals during virtual learning are available for pickup at the following locations.
- Peace Neighborhood Center – 1111 N. Maple Rd – 11:30a-1p
- Community Action Network
- Arrowwood Hills Community Center – 2566 Arrowwood Trail – 11:15-11:45a
- Bryant Community Center – 3 W Eden Ct- 11:15-11:45a
- Green Baxter Court Community Center – 1737 Green Rd – 11:30a-12:30p
- Hikone Community Center – 2724 Hikone Dr – 12:15-12:45p
- Pinelake Village Coop – 2680 Adrienne Dr – 11:30a-12:30p
- Scio Farms – 6655 Jackson Rd – outside the clubhouse – 11:30a-12:30p
- Orchard Grove – 2835 S Wagner – outside the clubhouse – 11:30a-12:30p
- Carpenter Elementary – 4250 Central Blvd – 11:30a-12:30p
- Mitchell Elementary – 3550 Pittsview Dr – 11:30a-12:30p & 4:30-6p
- Carrot Way – 1731 Dhu Varren – noon-12:30p
- Arbor Club Apartments – 1100 Rabbit Run Cir – noon-12:30p
- Avalon Housing – 701 Miller – 11:15-11:45a
- Avalon Housing – 1500 Pauline – noon-12:30p
- Coachville – 3423 Carpenter Rd – 11:30a-12:30p
- Arbor Meadows – 5229 W. Michigan, Ypsi – 11:30a-12:30p
- Lakestone – 4275 Eyrie Dr – 11:15-11:45a
- Pioneer High School – 601 W Stadium – 11:30a-4p (please call 734-994-2265 prior to arrival) and drive-through 4:30-6p at Clock Tower/Stadium Blvd
- Skyline High School – 2552 N. Maple Rd – 11:30a-3p & 4:30-6p
- Huron High School – 2727 Fuller Rd – 11:30a-12:30p & 4:30-6p
- Pathways to Success HS – 2800 Stone School Rd – 11:30a-12:30p & 4:30-6p
If you have food allergy needs or cannot make it to a pickup, contact the district at 734-994- 2265.
Ypsilanti Community Schools Food Distribution
Over the summer Food Gatherers administered the meet up and eat up program for several areas including Ypsilanti. With Fall, Ypsilanti Community Schools is again handling their own food distribution program.
Pickup is offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9a-2p at most locations. Tuesday’s pickup will include breakfast and lunch for 2 days while Thursday’s pickup includes breakfast and lunch for 3 days.
- ACCE High School -1076 Ecorse Rd
- Erickson Elementary – 1427 Levona St
- Holmes Elementary -1255 Holmes Rd
- Perry Early Learning Center – 550 Perry Ave
Additionally, Ypsilanti Community High School (2095 Packard St) offers pickups from 9a-5p on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Lincoln Consolidated Schools Food Distribution
Lincoln Consolidated School District will again be offering meal distribution on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11a-1p. Pickup is in the bus loop behind Lincoln High School. More information is available for district families on their website (it requires a district lunch account login), so I was not able to read it.
Saline Area Schools
Food Service is continuing to be available at Saline High School (1300 Campus Parkway). Pickup is available from 4-6p on Tuesdays. They ask you to register each week to help manage supply.
Saline Area Social Services is still providing grocery pickups. Instead of outdoor distribution, call form the parking lot and they will put it outside for you. Get details on their website including hours and an order form. They also accept food donations.
Dexter Community Schools
Dexter Community Schools is continuing food distribution this fall. Food Distribution is Wednesdays from 11:30a-1p at Mill Creek Middle School, 7305 Dexter Ann Arbor Rd. Each week’s pickup includes food for 7 breakfasts and 7 lunches. They are adding home delivery by request for families who have trouble making the weekly pickup. Please contact them by phone (734-424-4186) with special dietary requirements at least 2 days prior to pickup.
Whitmore Lake Public Schools
Whitmore Lake Public School is offering in-person learning and providing food at school. For families that chose their virtual academy, food distribution is available on Tuesday afternoons at Whitmore Lake High School. Food pickup for virtual students requires advance registration.
Milan Area Schools
MilanArea Schools are offering families the choice of Hybrid or Virtual Learning. Students in the hybrid learning will get meals at school on their in-person days and take additional meals home for their virtual days. Students in the virtual learning program can pickup meals at the Milan High School back drop-off loop – bring a mask since you will exit your car and enter the cafeteria. Pickups are 4-5p on Tuesday. You need to register for pickup by noon the previous Thursday.
Chelsea School District
Chelsea School District is offering weekly pickups of meals on Mondays from 1-3p at Chelsea High School, 740 N Freer Rd., Chelsea. Once students return to hybrid mode, they will receive 2 days of meals when they are at school and 5 days of take home meals.
Manchester School District
Manchester School District is offering both in person and virtual learning. Virtual learners can pickup food from 4-6p on Wednesdays in the Manchester Jr/Sr High School Bus Loop. Manchester Jr/Sr High School is located at 20500 Dutch Rd, Manchester. Currently (9/14) you need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your child’s meals. For students attending school, you can sign up at Sendmoneytoschool.com
Food Gatherers is a great resource in our community for families who need food. Check out their list of distribution sites and other resources for families who need food.
If you know of other resources for food during the COVID-19 closures and summer, please let us know.