As most local residents know our very warm March followed by freezing conditions decimated the areas apple crop. In past years my family has picked apples at both Wasem Fruit Farm in Milan and Spicer’s Orchard in Fenton. Neither are offering u-pick apples this year. I also checked with Wiard’s Orchard in Ypsilanti and they do not have u-pick apples this year.
|Apple Picking a Few Years Ago|
However, I have some good news for you I just verified that Erie Orchards in Erie, MI is offering u-pick apples. They are a further drive from Ann Arbor than the other orchards (26 miles south of the I-94 & US-23 exit & then about 8 miles east, Google Maps lists the driving time as 48 minutes from that point). U-pick apples are $12/peck, $21/half bushel, or $32/bushel.
They offer hay rides for $4/person from 3:30-6:30p Monday through Friday. Hayrides are $4/person.
On Saturday and Sunday they have $1 parking fee, but offer $1 off any u-pick item. They also have special activities on weekends:
- September 22-23: Pumpkin Festival: Apple & Pumpkin picking, hay rides & pony rides, crafters and entertainment
- September 29-30: Harvest Festival: In addition to apple & pumpkin picking, the cron maze will be open. Sunday will be a special kids day and a craft show
- October 6-7: Kids Weekend II: There will be a magic show on Saturday & Sunday afternoons and lots of kids activities plus a craft show. Saturday night will be a Family Night (details below)
- October 13-14: Pumpkin Extravaganza: The biggest pumpkin weekend of the year with cider and donuts at their best. There will be pony and hay rides. Sunday features a magic show and costume contest at 3p for kids ages 1-10.
- October 20-21: Cider Making Weekend: Watch them make cider all weekend.
- October 27-28: Halloween Weekend: Halloween Party during Family Fun Night
While you cannot pick apples closer to Ann Arbor, pumpkins are available. There are also local corn mazes available.