Winter Storm Petros: An Ann Arbor Report
Winter Storm Petros reached Ann Arbor this morning and is scheduled to impact us through Thursday afternoon. With current predictions calling for 6-10″ of snow, I am compiling information on School Closures, Road Conditions, and of course snow day activities.
This morning we woke up just ahead of the start of the snow. My husband and daughter left for school right as the snow was starting to fall taking my SUV. They made it home safely after school – a little earlier than expected since my daughter’s after school activity was cancelled.
Unfortunately, tonight’s traffic picture does not look as good. Around 6p there was a fatal accident on I-94 eastbound and the road is closed at US-12. I just heard sleet/freezing rain again, so I recommend staying home to stay safe.
If I hear of any more major road issues, I will be sure to let everyone know.
Based on the storm forecast and the fact that it has been a mild winter so far, I am predicting that school will be closed on Thursday. I’ll be updating this section through the day on Wednesday and Thursday morning as closures are announced.
Wednesday Afternoon School/School Activity Cancellations
- AAPS Westerman Preschool & Family Center Afternoon Classes Cancelled
- AA Rec & Ed After School & Evening Classes cancelled for today
- Arbor Prep High School – After School Activities Cancelled
- Dexter Community Schools – No evening activities
- Lincoln Consolidated Schools – After School Activities are cancelled
- Whitmore Lake High School Released early at 2:20p
- Ypsilanti Community Schools After School Activities Cancelled
Thursday School/School Activity Cancellations
- Ann Arbor Public Schools – School & Activities Cancelled on Thursday
- St Francis Catholic School
- St Thomas Catholic School
- Whitmore Lake Public Schools
- Dexter Public Schools – School Closed on Thursday, will make a decision by noon on evening activities
- Chelsea School District – School Closed on Thursday
- Brighton School District – School Closed on Thursday
- Saline Area Schools – School Closed on Thursday
- Ypsilanti Community Schools – School Closed on Thursday
- Milan Schools – School Closed on Thursday
- Lincoln Community Schools – School Closed on Thursday
- Honey Creek School
- East Arbor Charter School
- South Arbor Charter School
- Fortis Charter Academy
- Ann Arbor Learning Community
- Huron Valley Catholic School
- Washtenaw Christian Academy – School & Middle School Basketball cancelled, Open House will still be held at 6:30p
- Daycroft Montessori School
- Stone School Cooperative Preschool
The current (8a on Wednesday) prediction from SnowDayCalculator.com still shows a 99% chance of a school closure on Thursday. My hope is that they will make the call tonight instead of the 5a phone call that we all know will be coming. At any rate, I have already shut my daughter’s alarm off for tomorrow morning so she can sleep in. If you will need childcare for a snow day, I recommend starting to make tentative arrangements now so you aren’t scrambling in the morning.
Upcoming Sponsored Events
The more interesting result in the Snow Day Calculator is a 60% chance of an early closure today, Wednesday. In my daughter’s 5 years at AAPS, there has not been an early closure nor do I recall one from before she attended. As much as I want everyone to get home safe, an early closure seems like it could be a disaster if kids are sent home on buses and a parent isn’t home. With past history and the prediction of the storm changing to rain by 3pm, I don’t think there will be an early closure, although it wouldn’t surprise me if evening activities are cancelled.
My daughter is very excited at the prospect of snow since she wants to go sledding. She has been waiting for a decent snowfall since our last good snow in November when we visited Huron Hills Golf Course for the first time. It looks like tomorrow will be a great day for us to explore a new sledding hill. We have already planned our trip, so the weather and school closure better cooperate.
Last year we enjoyed making Snow Cream after a big storm. I only recommend making snow cream if you can pull freshly fallen snow that hasn’t come in direct contact with the ground.
Other Closures or Special Openings
With the severity of the storm predicted for Wednesday and Thursday, it will not surprise me if some places decide to close early on Wednesday or open late on Thursday. As I hear of any closures, I will be sure to update them below. Likewise, if any locations add special open hours after a school closure (for example the indoor ice rinks), I will add that information here.
- Kidopolis is closed on Wednesday
- Veterans Ice Arena – Activities after 5p
- Ann Arbor PTO Thrift Shop – Closed at 4p
- Saline Recreation Center has cancelled swim lessons and youth programs
- Meri Lou Murray Rec Center – closed at 3p
- Pittsfield Township Offices will be closed 8a-noon
- Ann Arbor PTO Thrift Shop – Opening at noon, donations closed all day
- Peachy Fitness – No classes on Thursday
- My Urban Toddler Saline – Closed on Thursday
- Ypsilanti District Library – Delayed Opening at 1p
If you have information on closures that have not yet been added here, please add it to the comments or send it by email.