Toddler & Preschool Programs at Leslie Science & Nature Center Begin in September
Next week’s Back To School doesn’t just affect the school-aged children, it affects a lot of programming at kid-friendly venues around town. During the school year, there is an increased focus on daytime activities for toddlers and preschoolers as venues shift away from summer camp and activities for school-aged children.
Leslie Science & Nature Center offers a number of programs for toddlers and preschoolers. Both Tiny Tots and Nature Tales will be returning from their summer hiatus. In addition, the Tykes program returns after a one year break. My daughter attended a Tykes program when she was in preschool and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, she was unable to attend a second session due to conflicts with her preschool schedule and then having her tonsils removed, she was not able to attend again. Tiny Tots and Nature Tales meet once a month while the Tykes Preschool Program is a class that meets weekly for a month (i.e. Tuesdays in September)
Tiny Tots and the Tykes Preschool Program will kick-off on Tuesday, September 9 with Tykes from 9-11a and Tiny Totsfrom 9:15-10:45a. This will allow a parent to take their younger child (ages 1-3) to Tiny Tots while their older child is at Tykes. The first Tiny Tots Program is Animals Use their Senses Too while the September Tykes program is Flight School. The full schedule can be found below LSNC’s press release about the programs:
LESLIE SCIENCE & NATURE CENTER UNVEILS PRESCHOOL-AGE PROGRAMMING FOR THE 2014-15 SCHOOL YEAR
ANN ARBOR, MI, JULY 29, 2014 –
Did you know Leslie Science & Nature Center (LSNC) offers three different programs designed especially for preschool-aged children? We have enhanced some of our current offerings —Tiny Tots and Nature Tales — and brought back a past program — Tykes —all held onsite at LSNC, 1831 Traver Rd, Ann Arbor, MI, 48105. We are thrilled to share what we are planning!
For 1-3 year olds, our Tiny Tots program remains a favorite, offering a hands-on carnival of activities to help your toddler begin learning about nature! One Tuesday each month from 9:15-10:45 a.m., children accompanied by their adult make their way though hands-on indoor and outdoor activities created to reflect a theme. A few of the monthly themes this year are Shapes in Nature, Creatures of the Night, and Rainbow of Colors. Puppet shows, engaging songs, stories, nature walks, crafts, and more keep each session new and exciting. Tiny Tots is designed specifically for 1-3 year olds but older siblings are welcome, and the presence of an adult caregiver is required. This program is $7/child for LSNC Members or $8/child without membership, and preregistration is encouraged.
Nature Tales is our offering for kids ranging from 1-5 years old. A unique family story time, Nature Tales is held one Saturday a month from 10-11:00 a.m. Each session features a carefully chosen book that will be read aloud, and the titles this year include “Nuts to You!” by Lois Ehle, “Little Owl’s Night” by Divya Srinivasa, and “Under One Rock: Bugs, Slugs, and Other Ughs” by Anthony D. Frederic, among others. Each story time also features a visit from one of LSNC’s live animals and an outdoor activity. We keep it interesting, fun, and educational for the whole range of ages as well as for the parents and other caregivers who are required to attend with their kids! Preregistration is encouraged, and is $3/child for LSNC Members or $4/child for non-members.
Our big comeback story this year is the Tykes Preschool Program, a two-hour drop-off program for 4-5 year-olds. You are welcomed to stay or to leave the kids with us knowing they will spend a fun educational few hours learning about a variety of science and nature topics. Tykes meet once a week on Tuesdays throughout the month, and the sessions each carry forward the overarching theme of that month through a variety of activities that may include animal presentations, hikes in Black Pond Woods, crafts, and experiments; each session includes a snack. Themes this year will include Flight School, ‘Frog, Toad, & Friends’, and Nature Detectives. Act fast – Tykes is designed for a small group and fills up fast! Preregistration is required. Three-week months are $33/child for LSNC Members and $38/child for non-members; four-week months are $45/child for LSNC Members and $50/child for non-members.
We understand it can be a struggle to get your little ones out of the house, so we’ve planned our Tiny Tots and Tykes programs to fall on the same day and at complementary times to make it easier on you – especially if you have more than one preschooler at home! Visit www.lesliesnc.org to see all dates, themes, and prices. You can register for all three programs ahead of time by visiting www.lesliesnc.org or calling 734-997-1553. Please note that space is limited for all of our preschool offerings, and that preregistration is required for Tykes. We look forward to seeing you at LSNC!
Leslie Science & Nature Center’s preschool programs are held at the LSNC site, 1831 Traver Road, Ann Arbor, MI, 48105.
- Nature Tales (Saturdays 10-11a)
- Saturday, September 20 – A Nutty Tale
- Saturday, October 18 – An Animal Tale
- Saturday, November 15 – A Rockin’ Tale
- Saturday, December 20 – A Chilly Tale
- Saturday, January 17, 2015 – A Snowy Tale
- Saturday, February 21, 2015 – A Nighttime Tale
- Saturday, March 21, 2015 – A Dr Seuss Tale
- Saturday, April 25, 2015 – A Lowly Tale
- Saturday, May 16, 2015 – A Flighty Tale
- Tiny Tots (Tuesdays, 9:15-10:45a)
- Tuesday, September 9 – Animals Use Their Senses Too
- Tuesday, October 7 – Fall Fun
- Tuesday, November 11 – Shapes in Nature
- Tuesday, December 2 – Rockin’ Rocks & Fossils
- Tuesday, January 6, 2015 – Creatures of the Night
- Tuesday, February 3, 2015 – Winter Adventure
- Tuesday, March 3, 2015 – Dr Seuss on the Loose
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015 – Rainbow of Colors
- Tuesday, May 5, 2015 – Sounds of Nature
- Tykes (Tuesdays 9-11a)
- Tuesdays, September 9-30 – Flight School
- Tuesdays, October 7-28 – Fall Frenzy
- Tuesdays, November 11-25 – Frog, Toad, and Friends
- Tuesdays, December 2-16 – Animals in Winter
- Tuesdays, January 6-27, 2015 – Hop, Flap, Walk, Crawl, & Slither
- Tuesdays, February 3, 10, & 24th, 2015 – Sensational Senses
- Tuesdays, March 3-24, 2015 – Dr. Seuss Adventures
- Tuesdays, April 14-28, 2015 – Nature Detectives
- Tuesdays, May 5-26, 2015 – Bug Bonanza
Latest posts by Anna Mae (see all)
- Trailer for Avengers: Infinity War – March 18, 2018
- Arbor Annie’s St Patrick’s Day Weekend Picks March 16-18 – March 16, 2018
- 2018 Top of the Park Movie Lineup Announced – March 16, 2018