Ann Arbor Skatepark Grand Opening Event is Tomorrow
After many years of effort, the Ann Arbor Skatepark Grand Opening Event is Tomorrow – Saturday, June 21. The event will start with beginner skate lessons and include live music, skate-boarding demos with professionals including Tony Hawk, an official ribbon cutting ceremony, and more.
The press release with more details about the event including the schedule is below:
ANN ARBOR, Mich., June 18, 2014 — The City of Ann Arbor Parks and Recreation Services, the Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark, the Washtenaw County Parks and Recreation Commission and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources will host a grand opening ceremony at 11 a.m., Saturday, June 21 at the site of the new Ann Arbor Skatepark located in the northwest portion of Veterans Memorial Park, 2150 Jackson Ave. The ceremony will include remarks and photo opportunities.
Construction began in 2013 on the 30,000-square-foot, world class facility designed by Wally Hollyday, which will be free for the public to use. Skateboarders can enjoy features such as kidney pools from 5 to 9.5 feet deep, a snake run, clover and flow bowls and a rock ride. Landscape features include native plants and bioswales and retention areas that exceed standard stormwater requirements.
Colin Smith, parks and recreation services manager for the City of Ann Arbor, noted the excitement that’s been building around this project. “This has been a long time coming and wouldn’t have been possible without the hard work and commitment of the Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark and great collaboration amongst numerous partners. Without the support of the Washtenaw County Parks and Recreation Commission and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, we wouldn’t be where we are today. The quality of the project is reflected by not only the great support here in our community, but also from the world-class pros who are attending the grand opening and providing demonstrations. The site looks fantastic.”
Activities throughout the day will include the official ribbon-cutting ceremony, skateboarding contests, beginner skate lessons, music, vendor booths, giveaways and more. Pro skateboarding demonstrations will feature Tony Hawk, Andy Macdonald, Alex Sorgente, Tony Magnusson, Ron Allen, and Garold Vallie.
Trevor Staples, President of the Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark, said “This is a dream come true for me, the local skateboarders, and many non-skating supporters in our community. The Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark can’t thank our community enough for the support they’ve shown over the years we’ve worked on this project. We hope everyone, skaters and non-skaters alike, will come out and help us celebrate this one-of-a-kind event for the Ann Arbor/Washtenaw County parks system.”
Below is a schedule for Saturday, June 21. Please note, these are approximate times for the start of each activity:
- 10 to 11 a.m.: beginner skate lessons from Max Davis and a beginner street course jam (all contests will be hosted by Launch Board Shop of Ann Arbor).
- 11 a.m. to noon: official ribbon-cutting ceremony with remarks by representatives from the City of Ann Arbor Parks and Recreation Services, Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark, Michigan Department of Natural Resources Trust Fund Grant, Washtenaw County Parks Commission, and other dignitaries.
- Noon to 1 p.m.: intermediate street course jam.
- 1 to 2 p.m.: advanced street course jam and live music from Scissors Now.
- 2 to 3 p.m.: advanced bowl jam and live music from Hullaballoo.
- 3 to 4 p.m.: skateboarding and live music from Mazinga.
- 4 to 5 p.m.: pro demo featuring Tony Hawk, Andy Macdonald, Alex Sorgente, Tony Magnusson, Ron Allen, Garold Vallie, and more to be announced.
- 5 to 6 p.m.: skateboarding.
- 6 p.m.: vendor area closes and the event concludes for the day.
Please note: There is a road construction project ongoing at the intersection of Jackson and North Maple roads (www.a2gov.org/roads). You may encounter traffic delays getting to the skatepark. We encourage you to car pool, ride your bike or use the AAATA bus. To learn more about the Ann Arbor Skatepark, visit www.a2gov.org/parks or http://a2skatepark.org.
Latest posts by Anna Mae (see all)
- Trailer for Avengers: Infinity War – March 18, 2018
- Arbor Annie’s St Patrick’s Day Weekend Picks March 16-18 – March 16, 2018
- 2018 Top of the Park Movie Lineup Announced – March 16, 2018